Wednesday, October 27, 2010

HE CAN;T BE SERIOUS!

This is a panic-postscript to today's blog.

I opened with a comment about the plan to rip up the streetcar routes and replace them with buses, a plan that would include billions to build more subways.

I am incensed at what I just heard on TV News. Mayor-elect Ford seems to be waffling (if you believe his brother) over his plans to replace streetcars. Ford himself, with that cocky grin he always shows, says he is going to talk to the Premier!

Worst yet - if I understood correctly - did Mr. McGuinty actually say that in the matter of the transit system for Toronto that "the people have spoken!?

Do I hear our Premier saying that he's open to the inane Ford plan to build expensive subways, to repudiate the deal already made for a whole revised transit system, and to embark on a prohibitively expensive subway program?

If I am hearing right - what do we have to do to stop the madness?

I can believe that people fell for bis "Respect for Taxpayers" slogan, but how many really voted to uproot the streetcar system and replace it with buses? Noisy, polluting buses? Buses that carry a fraction of the passenger load of streetcars?

Have we fallen into some kind of fairy-tale hole? Can I expect the March Hare and the Mad Hatter to show up.

We can't let this happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment